
Well, this is our first attempt at keeping an online record for people to read. I have been keeping my notes and thoughts in a shutterfly album, which I will continue to do, but so others can keep up when they want, I decided to start a blog as I have seen some friends do with their pregnancies and babies.Nate is now 16 1/2 months old and so much his own person. We have spent the last week battling our first serious stomach flu, which hasn't been fun. You feel so helpless when you see you child sick. But, he is such a trooper! No tears, no fuss, just tired and weak. Not like his usual active self. On a normal day, the only time he sits still is when he is about ready for a nap or bed!
He is really starting to put sounds together and within context, he is becoming understandable with phrases like, "I got it" "I have a car" "Where did it go?" "It's a dog". Watching and listening as a child's speech develops is truly amazing. It starts out so jumbled and gets clearer and clearer as they keep working at it, until one day you look at them and think, "Did you just say...?" and realize they did. I have found that teaching Nate sign language was one of the best things I could have done. I wasn't sure I believed it would work at first, since I got no response or indication of understanding for months, but then all the sudden...He got it! He now has so many signs and it is amazing how much it cuts down on tantrums and how much he really does understand. He can express what he wants a lot of the time, and that makes a huge difference. I need to email our instructor and let her know how well he is doing and I will definitely use this strategy with our next child.
He is such a happy and energetic kid. Bob and I feel like we have been spoiled and are a bit afraid of what may be in store for us in the future, but what an easy introduction into parenthood he has given us! I enjoy watching him grow, learn, and change daily. It does go by so fast, and I am realizing how quickly things are forgotten, so I am going to try to be good about documenting so I can look back later on. As I read about my friend Suzanne's 5 1/2 month old, I try to remember back and am glad I have taken video and notes, since it is hard to remember a time when he wasn't walking, running, and climbing around.
Here is his Halloween costume. He HATES it!!!
2 comments:
yeah! more nate. I heard he knows where his fingers and toes and eyes and nose are, but not his thorax. In time I suppose (heehee). Have fun with this and I will check it often. very cool.
Grandma said...
Great idea Becky! I will try to check in. Always trying to be up to date on my Nate. Tell Grammy that Nate definately has her eyes!!
Post a Comment